On 26 May 2010 the Hungarian National Assembly approved with an overwhelming majority the amendment of Act LV of 1993 on Hungarian citizenship and introduced a procedure called Simplified Naturalisation.
This new regulation has simplified the procedure and reduced the administrative burden. Every non-Hungarian citizen is eligible for preferential naturalisation if:
- he or any of his ancestors was a Hungarian citizen or if he serves reason to believe his or her origin is from Hungary,
- he proves his knowledge of the Hungarian language,
- he has no criminal record and is not under prosecution,
- his naturalisation does not violate the public and national security of Hungary.
(So this means you don’t need to have property in Hungary or have Hungarian parents.)
Since 2010 Hungarian Language Solutions has been helping speakers of English to prepare for their citizenship interview.
For the past eight-plus years we have been working with a number of learners - these people had their interviews and passed in Hungary, Israel, Munich, New York, LA, London, Brazil, Montenegro, Ottawa and Lebanon.
We use our own materials, but every lesson plan is customised for your needs (the type of learner you are, strengths and weaknesses, etc.) There is also a language book we recommend for extra homework. We ask everyone taking our Citizenship Course to work extremely hard and if possible, study every day!
After their interviews we always ask our learners for their feedback on what happened during the interview and how they benefited from what they learnt from us. Based on the feedbacks lesson plans have been customised accordingly. We have put a lot of work into this and at the end of the process a first-class basic course evolved that will equip you with all the things you need to know from a language point of view.
We are not legally qualified but have walked this journey with around 70 people since 2010. So based on our experience we would say if you know you are eligible you won't need to spend a huge amount of money to use a lawyer, we will be able to help you with everything from writing your bio, filling in your forms, translating your documents into Hungarian to correspondence with the Consulate.
Based on the fact that all of our clients have been successful we are confident we can provide you with everything to prepare for this exciting milestone.
Spouses of Hungarian citizens are also eligible
Since 1 March, 2013 spouses of Hungarian citizens are also eligible for Hungarian citizenship (Simplified Naturalisation) if they have:
- for at least
- for ten years been legally married to a person who is a Hungarian citizen on the day the spouse submits his/her application form, or
- for five years been legally married to a person who is a Hungarian citizen on the day the spouse submits his/her application form and have a child together;
- they have no criminal record and are not under prosecution and their naturalisation does not violate the public and national security of Hungary;
- they prove their knowledge of the Hungarian language.